There are many people who claim to be Christians who also
say that Jesus never claimed to be divine in nature, that he was not the Son of
God. These people have either never read the Gospel of John or they have chosen
to ignore the plethora of claims that Jesus made about himself. Jesus
absolutely claimed to be God both directly and indirectly. The following is a
list of scriptures from the Gospel of John in which Jesus is recorded as having
made statements claiming His divine nature.
Right off the bat in John chapter two, the Jews were
demanding that Jesus show them miraculous signs and wonders and Jesus replied
to them in verse 19, ‘Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three
days I will raise it up.” Just a couple of verses after that John explains
Jesus’ words. In verse 21 John says, “But he was speaking about the temple of
his body.” John is letting us know in this passage that Jesus is indirectly
claiming to have power over life and death which we know only God has. In every
instance in both Old and New Testament texts in which someone was raised from
the dead, it was the power of God working through the prophet or person, not
any power of their own. Only God has this power and the Jews knew it. Jesus was
making a bold claim about himself in this statement.
Jesus clarifies this statement for anyone who didn’t catch
it the first time. In John 5:21 John records Jesus as saying, “For as the
Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom
he will.” This could not be any more blatant. Jesus has again claimed to be
God. He follows this up with another statement later in chapter 10:17-18 where
Jesus is recorded as saying, “For this reason the Father loves me, because I
lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I
lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have
authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”
This list goes on and on.
Then there is the woman at the well in chapter 4 where Jesus
claims to have power over eternal life. John 4:13-14 ‘Jesus said to her,
“Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks
of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.[a] The water
that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal
life.” And then in chapter 6:40 Jesus says, “For this is the will of my Father,
that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal
life, and I will raise him up on the last day.” In each of these two moments
Jesus has claimed to have the power over the eternal soul of all human beings.
He holds the keys to Heaven and Hell and determines who goes where. We see this
further proven by Jesus’ words to Martha in regards to Lazarus, (this can be
found in chapter 11:25-26).
In the following scripture references Jesus claims to have:
Been the only one to have come from Heaven to do His Father’s will, he has
stood in the presence of His Father, that He would be returning to His Father,
and that He shares in the glory of the Father. (3:13, 6:38, 8:36, 16:28, 17:5)
Jesus repeatedly refers to Himself as the “Son of Man” which is in reference to
what is said about Him in the book of Daniel. He also said in chapter 4:26,
“Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am he.” This was in reference to the
previous comment concerning the coming Messiah. Jesus claims here to be the
long awaited Messiah from God which the Jews would have known and believed to be
God according to the writings of Isaiah that we read so often at Christmas
time.
In both John 8:12 and 8:25 Jesus claims to have power over
the forgiveness of sins, a position and level of authority that up to that
point only God had claimed for himself. Herein Jesus is claiming to be the very
God who possess such power.
In John 14:26 Jesus states that in His coming absence the
Father would send the Holy Spirit to His disciples. Later in chapter 16:7 Jesus
says, “Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go
away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I
will send him to you.” Jesus has thus claimed to be the Father who will do the
sending of the Holy Spirit. And in John 5:23 and John 16:15 Jesus claims
equality with God the Father. According to Jesus, he deserves the same honor as
that of the Father. Why? Because he is God! TO know Jesus is to know the Father
and visa-versa. They are one in the same.
All of the above are a small drop in the bucket of the
indirect claims made by Jesus about himself in relationship to the Father and
his claims to be God in the flesh. But, the really cool part is when you get to
the direct statements that He made, primarily the “I AM” statements. Jesus uses
the same exact language used by God to Moses on Mt. Sinai. Jesus is essentially
calling himself YHWH the I AM!
And lastly, the Jews themselves believed Jesus to have
claimed to be God in the flesh. They even accused Him of it and tried to stone
Him for it. They claimed it as blasphemy. This can be seen in both John 5:17-18
and John 10:33.
The entire Gospel of John is a testament to the statements
that Jesus made about himself and was written by the closest person to Jesus,
someone who, in all probability, knew Him the best. This adds credibility to
the accuracy of the statements as recorded. John clearly believed that Jesus,
on multiple occasions, claimed to be and was in fact God in the flesh.
No comments:
Post a Comment