A Pleasing Tongue
“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” - Psalm 19:14
“Think before you speak!” I am sure you've heard that a time or two in your life. The truth is, we don't often sit and think about the words we say. In reality, we are more likely to consider what we are going to say before we say it than we are to contemplate what we said after the fact. I don't really know why that is. Perhaps, it is because we have placed an emphasis on it with things such as the cliché saying that I opened with. In either case, when I read this text in Psalm 19, I am forced to consider the words that come from my mouth. That is, if I am concerned at all with what God thinks or feels in regards to my words or thoughts for that matter. I am reminded of another text in the New Testament book of 2 Corinthians.
“3For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. 4For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,6 being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.” - 2 Cor. 10:3-6
God obviously cares a great deal about our thoughts and the words that come from our mouth. So should we. Take time this week to consider your words, not just before you speak but afterwards. Consider how you use your words. Do your words build others up or tear them down? Are your words encouraging and profitable or are they divisive and discouraging? Is there noticeable love in your tone and grace in your approach or do you come across as brash and abrasive?
Consider this, how was it that Jesus could call someone out for their blatant and heinous sins but leave that person feeling loved and cared for? How do people feel after an encounter with you?
No comments:
Post a Comment